I have been trying to empty my pantry since a month and its still not as empty as my husband would have wanted.but its much lighther then before.so thankfully I wont have a lot to carry in that department.There, a bit of positivity, a lighter grocery box.I winded my kitchen today and from now on the two of us would be surviving on the mercy of the restaurants in our area.(escape from routine cooking for a while).When I was cleaning the shelves on sunday I had a few potatoes and the moment I took them out my husbands caught their sight and requested for his favourite dish "potatisgrätang" Its actually a potato gratin- a Swedish specaility I just couldnt resist making since its not very often that he requests for special meals even though I dint have anything to pair it with I just made it.
Its a very simply and super tasty mix of potatoes and herbs cooked in cream.And yes its quite a calorie loaded mix.But I usually do it once in a blue moon.and besides we have been stressing our selves physically with the whole packing and moving thingy that a bit of indulgence seemed justified.
You can have it as a side dish to meatballs or grilled chicked.It just works perfect with any sort of meat.
- 2 whole medium size potatoes. Sliced thinly as possible.
- Rosemary a few twings
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Thsps olive oil
- 1 & 1/2 cups of 40% cooking cream.you can use any kind of cream the more higher in fat the better is the taste.I used 38%.You can even add a bit of milk to thin out the cream.
- 1cup of grated hard cheese.best is to use vasterbotten cheese.Its a specail swidish cheese so might not be available everywhere else.The closest variety to vasterbotten is Parmesan cheese.or any hardcheese that you have works fine.
- Grease a shallow baking dish with olive oil.
- Spread a layer of sliced potatoes and season with salt and pepper,add rosemary and top it with some cheese.Now do another layer the same way potatoes,seasoning,herbs and cheese.do it till your done with the potatoes.
- Mix olive oil ,cream and rosemary and spread it over the layered potatoes.
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 170C for about 40 -45 mins.